The global effects of COVID-19 have resulted in schedule delays across shipping and airfreight industries which has resulted in the listed lead times of many of our products being impacted, the majority of which are shipped to us from Europe or China. On average, we are experiencing a 5-6 week delay on product lead-times from China (including delays in China and AU) and 3-4 week delay on product lead-times from Europe (including delays in Europe and AU).
Our team will give you an overview of the delays likely to be incurred when you order. For up-to-date information on shipping delays, please refer to the information outlined below:
Delays from China
- The increase in demand of export goods from China globally, without a reciprocal demand for imported goods into China has two significant effects to shipping
- Reduction in available containers worldwide, as empty containers remain in China. In Shenzhen port alone, there is a current shortage of 5,000 containers.
- Vessel schedules are clogged particularly around the southern ports. There is currently an excess of 65 vessels floating around the southern Chinese ports.
- Port closures in China, due to ongoing COVID-19 threat, have also increased pressure on remaining open ports and schedules.
- Average berthing time (time a vessel is spent at a port) has increased from 3-4 days to approximately 16 days.
- We are currently seeing on average 3-4 week delays from China.
Delays from Europe
- The flow on effect from China is starting to appear in Europe, with container shortages and vessel schedules at full capacity.
- Delays from China also affect arrival of parts, delaying total production times for some manufacturers.
- We are currently seeing on average 1-2 week delay from Europe.
- Note - also the European Summer holidays have just started, adding up to 4 weeks to standard lead times depending on individual brands.
Delays in Australia
- Greater imports into Australia have resulted in congestion in local ports. This has resulted in:
- Vessels skipping ports altogether e.g. A vessel skips Sydney, lands into Melbourne, and delays result in the product having to be freighted back to Sydney.
- Clearance times for containers has increased from an average of 7 days to 10-14 days.
- Unions stopping work at different ports has also placed greater pressure during operating hours and schedules.
- We are currently seeing on average 2-3 week delay after a vessel lands into a local port.
Delays in Airfreight
- Airfreight has already been impacted from flight reduction, but further reduction in passenger arrivals announced recently effect
- Time for airfreight to arrive
- Cost to airfreight – recent quotes have doubled in price.
If you are concerned about the lead-time of your order or have any questions, please contact us and we will be happy to help.
Once your order is placed with the HayShop you will receive an email confirmation, followed by a second email confirming your order has been dispatched, including any relevant details for tracking.
Shipping Lead Times
Individual lead times vary from product to product, with estimations provided within each product description. Please contact our team for any specific lead time enquiries.
Delivery Lead Times
For 'In Stock' items delivery will be within five (5) to 10 (10) business days, depending on your location.
Delivery Services – Courier or Post
Small, Medium, Large or Oversized Orders will be delivered via Post or Courier and costs will be calculated based on weight and distance in the checkout.
Please note that a signature may be required upon delivery at the nominated address. Delivery will occur between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm Monday - Friday and we are unable provide an exact time or call prior to delivery.
Your Shipping Address
Please make sure that the shipping address is correct as we're unable to redirect orders once they are on their way to you.
The delivery address must be an address within Australia and cannot be a PO Box or Freight Forwarding Location.
Before we can dispatch your purchases, we may need to confirm your details with your card issuer. We will do our best to keep delays to a minimum.
Customers can opt to collect orders of furniture items only from our warehouses in NSW or VIC. Once your order has arrived to our warehouse, one of our friendly staff will let you know your items are ready for collection. You will need to provide your order number and name, so ensure you have these on hand. See address and contact details below.
Unit 1, 16 Nelson Ave
Padstow NSW 2211
(02) 8062 6090
5B Janine St
Scoresby VIC 3179
1300 204 237
Warehouse collections are available from 7.30am - 2.30 pm Monday to Friday.
Click & Collect
Customers can opt to collect orders of accessories only from our showrooms in NSW and VIC. Please allow five (5) to seven (7) business days for NSW collections and seven (7) to ten (10) business days for VIC collections.
Once your order has arrived to our showroom, one of our friendly staff will let you know your items are ready for collection. You will need to provide your order number and name, so ensure you have these on hand. See address and contact details below.
HAY Shop Sydney
255 Crown Street
Darlinghurst, NSW 2010
(02) 9538 0855
Open 10am - 6pm Monday to Friday, 10am - 5pm Saturday & Sunday.
Cult Design Melbourne
680 Elizabeth St
Melbourne, VIC 3000
(03) 9066 1177
Open 8.30am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday, 10am - 4pm Saturday.